- On the eve of the 83rd birthday of Dhirubhai Ambani, Reliance Jio, announced the launch of 4G service for its employees under Jio brand name which will be available from December 28 - the company is offering Jio mobile service for free to its over 100,000 employees as of now.
- The company is also offering 25 percent discount on its LYF brand 4G smartphones to its employees.
- As of now, Reliance Jio is only available for 1 lakh Reliance employees across India
- While there is no confirmed date for the commercial launch, it is expected to take place in late April, or March of 2016
Mukesh Ambani speech at Reliance Jio 4G launch: "
- I want all of you to take 5 things back: digital life, connected intelligence, Jio life, Jio together and Why Jio? Because life is going digital. Let me now welcome Jio."
- India is ranked around 150 in the Internet and mobile broadband penetration out of 230 countries, Jio is conceived to change this
- Jio is not about technical brute force but to reimagine how to do things better. Jio is not about Reliance, it is about India and when it comes to India, I am an eternal optimist,
- Mukesh Ambani said Jio isn’t about Reliance, but about India. He said, when it comes to India, he is an eternal optimist
- In the next 20 years humanity will achieve more than it has in the past 300 million years," predicted Ambani.
- as on date, beta launch is free for all RIL partners, staff and family
- There are several reports suggesting that the pricing could be as low as Rs. 300 to Rs. 500 for a bundle of data, e-commerce access, media, and payment services
SOME FACTS about JIO 4G Launch
- The launch marks the re-entry of Mukesh Ambani in the mobile service business.
- after a decade It was a family reunion of sorts when billionaire Mukesh Ambani today re-forayed into telecom with a glittering launch of Jio that brought his brother Anil, sister-in-law Tina and nephews Anmol and Anshul together with his family.Mother Kolileben also graced the gala function that lasted nearly two hours. Mukesh's wife Nita and three children and also his sisters were present on the occasion
- The partnership for Reliance Jio brings together the once-feuding Ambani brothers who had an ugly public feud after death of their father Dhirubhai Ambani in 2002 to split the Reliance empire. In their telecom partnership, Anil's Reliance Communications will access 4G mobile networks of Jio, which, in turn, can use the former's 2G and 3G networks when needed. Mukesh's Jio had in the past partnered Reliance Communications, India's fourth-biggest mobile phone carrier, for sharing of mobile masts and leasing of optic fibre network.
- at the time of Commercial Launch reliance Jio will cover 80 percent of India's population by the end of 2016, and to this end, has deployed a network of nearly 2,50,000km of fibre optics to create the backbone of the network.
- as on Date 150 handsets available in the country which support 4G of Jio and mobile phones with 3G and 2G network support only can access Jio Wi-Fi.
- Reliance Jio holds the highest amount of liberalised spectrum among telecom operators which can be used for deploying any technology for mobile services. It has a total of 751.1 MHz spectrum across 800MHz, 1800MHz and 2300MHz bands
- according to IBNLIVE.com The hashtag #CelebratingJio trended at the No 1 position in India and Vietnam, No 2 in Austria, No 4 in Latvia and No 7 in the US and sixth position worldwide on Twitter on Sunday, a third-party data showed.
- Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan, who will be the brand ambassador for the Jio's 4G mobile and broadband services, performed at the function including the hit 'Gerua' song from his latest movie Dilwale. A R Rehman performed the famous Jai Ho and a track from Swadesh.
- If Jio is to get the 100 million internet subscribers it is aiming for in 12 months, this means the company will have a 20% share of the total internet market